An inside look at Ciona’s process of remanufacturing an In-Cab Display.
- The product had multiple approved designs in operation, which overtime diversified the core population.
- The hardware had a common design issue which attributed to a specific significant failure mode (across all of the variations of the unit), which drove up the warranty returns. This failure was driven by the multiple thermal expansion ratios of the components used in the display. Effectively, the pieces were coming apart while in use, as the relative temperature increased or decreased.
- Design a remanufacturing process that would accommodate all the various designs.
- Address the significant failure mode through a product enhancement.
- Update where applicable to the latest production standard.
- We initially addressed the variations in the thermal expansion of the component parts, through utilization of a new process which allowed for a broader range of thermal capabilities, addressing the single highest fail mode.
- We also developed a flexible production process which allowed for multiple designs to be handled within the same work process.
- Lastly, we updated to new aesthetic standards and components where applicable.
- Standardized the remanufactured product.
- The main failure mode was eliminated, and had an bonus of making the screen easier to read in intense light.